Chiang Mai Temples and Art




Temples in Chiangmai/ วัดในเชียงใหม่

 

  Wat Phra That Doi Suthep




Wat Phra That Doi Suthep is the most important and visible landmark, and overlooks the city from its forested mountain backdrop. This temple is 15 kilometres from town , 3,520 feet above sea level, and dates from 1383. The temple is approached on foot by climbing a steep Naga staircase comprising 290 steps. The less energetic may ascend by railcars. The temple’s pagoda contains holy Buddha relics, and attracts Buddhist pilgrims from all over the world throughout the year. The temple compound offers an exhilarating view of Chiang Mai city and surrounding countryside.



Wat Phra Sing

Wat Phra Sing Operating day:
 Daily 
Operating time: 08.00 - 17.00



Wat Phra Sing, located on Sam Lan Road, houses the revered Phra Phutthasihing Buddha image cast in Subduing Mara. The Buddha image is now enshrined in Viharn Lai Kham. During the Songkran festival, each April 13-15, people process the most sacred Buddha image around Chiang Mai town for traditional bathing. 

Formerly, this area was a Wat Li Chiang Market until 1345, King Pa Yu, the fifth king of Mengrai Dynasty commanded to built this temple and a 24-feet chedi containing his father’s ashes. The temple compound includes the lovely Viharn Lai Kham featuring exquisite woodcarvings and northern-style murals paintings, a magnificent scriptural repository with striking bas relief, and a circular stupa (in Lankan bell shape).

 

 



 



Wat Chedi Liam or Chedi Ku Kham
Operating day: Daily 
Operating time: 08.00 - 17.00



The temple, situated in newly developed tourist destination, Wiang Kum Kam, was built in 1288 during the reign of King Meng Rai. Hundreds of years later, the temple was left abandoned until a Burmese tycoon renovated the temple in 1908. As a result, the temple has some Burmese influences in addition to its former Khmer style of which only some parts were rebuilt.

 

 

 



Wat Chedi Luang
Operating day: Daily 
Operating time: 08.00 - 17.00



Wat Chedi Luang houses the largest chedi in Chiang Mai. The temple is located right in the middle of the city and was built in the reign of King Saen Mueang Mak, the seventh king of Mengrai Dynasty. The 98-metre tall and 54-metre wide chedi was built in the reign of King Tilokkarat. The construction was completed in 1481.  In 1545 the chedi was collapsed due to an earthquake during the reign of King Jiraprapa.  The chapel in the front was built by Chao Khun Uba Lee Poramacharn (Sirichantathera) and Chao Kaeo Navarat in 1928. The magnificent methodological serpents ramble from the entrance of the chapel to its door on both sides. It is believed that they are the most beautiful man-made serpents in the northern Thailand.

 

 

 




Wat Umong
Operating day: Daily 
Operating time: 08.00 - 17.00



Wat U-Mong, located on Suthep Road in the town.  The spacious temple was found in the reign in King Mengrai around 1296. The renovation was done in the reign of King Kue Na.  The large wall like building with a connected tunnel inside is a remarkable piece of art located in the temple compound. A large stupa is located near the temple’s wall. Wat U-Mong is teemed with various kinds of trees, thus making it an ideal meditation place.

 

 

                                                            Wat phra that Doi Suthep  with clients